Friday, May 20, 2011

Barry Alpert of Raymond James: Got his start by helping friends - Tampa Bay Business Journal:

ogyhejowy.wordpress.com
Name: Barry M. Alpert Title and Managing director, investment banking and head of businessd development at Years withthe company: Years in Tampwa Bay: Nature of business: Education: and ; graduate, How do you manag the information flow? Read, read, read. It is not alwaysa manageable. Where is the best source for new ideas? I mostly learn from anyone youngertthan me. Investment bankers today are smart, well versed in their fields and talented. I taugh t at Roosevelt University in Chicago where I learnerd every day from very bright peoplw who chose to be inmy class. What was your best businessz idea?
To start a two banks and insurancew company inthe ’70s, and Colonyg Bank — both in Clearwater. I was founding chairmahn of LifeSavings Loan, which was the firsf stock S&L chartered in Florida in and I helped to write the enablintg legislation. Before then therse were only mutual S&Ls. What was your best business decision?? To sell and eventually join a greatt firm like RaymondJames Financial. I was presiden t of a few insurance companies. The last, of Ohio, was sold to in 1991. My firs t insurance company, , was sold to in 1982. Who is your mentor? I have had many. From some I have leaned how toconducr myself, and from others I learned what not to do.
They includse Charlie Rutenberg, Fred Fisher, Gus Chester Ferguson and Frank I just watched and learned what theydid right. What was your firsgt real job? Commercial banker in Chicago. I began as a clerk in the credif department ofthe , hired during the recessio n of 1962, and rose to becom e the head of the metropolitan How did you get started in your currenty career? By helping friends determinse their best avenues for business What was a turning pointy in your life? When I married Juditg in 1969 and moved to Floridsa in 1972. It’s Saturdaty morning at 11 a.m., where are you? Usuallt on the computer at home tying up issuesx that were left undone from the officrFriday evening.
Who is the most influentialp person inyour life? My who gave me the intellectual foundation to explor e many avenues that contributed to my Who are your heroes in the busineszs world? Heroes to me are entrepreneurs who take a chancer on business and people. They view life as a series of opportunities, hopefully well thought out ones. However, luck playx such a dominant role. When opportunity crosses with luck, the stara are aligned. What is your favorite businesa book? Who took a chance on you? My who continues to offer the support I need tobe entrepreneurial.
Clemenyt Stone, who was the chairman of in now AON, when he granted our first insurance company a surplus loan when no one else Charlie Zwick, who was chairman of and who granter me loans I probably did not Jeff Trocin and Tom James when they askefd me to join them at Raymonsd James in 1997. What advice would you give to someonee starting out in your field No one ever said that life is they can just promise that it should be wortnhthe effort. The pursuit of happinesse is the chase of a How and why do people do businesswwith you? People like to do business with friends and peopl e they like and trust. I try to be a frienfd with honest concern and counsel andmanagr expectations.
I do business with one friend ata time. I help corporate typex think through strategies and try to be theifr link to thecapital

No comments:

Post a Comment